“The best CE course (Introduction to Canine Rehabilitation) I have ever taken. All instructors were amazing, easy to approach, and they answered the questions well. I have been trying to decide how I want to proceed in my career, and this course has helped fuel my passion for veterinary medicine in general but now I've found a field I can see myself loving for years to come."
–Amy, DVM

“I LOVED this class!"
–Shannon Wilkins, CVT,
Winchester, Virginia
Want to be notified when new courses are added to the schedule?
Sign up for our
Email Newsletter

Quick Links

» Employment Agreement Letter (PDF)

» Letter of Recommendation Guidelines (PDF)

» Cancellation and Payment Policies

» Waiting List Policy


Need help opening PDF files? Download a free copy of Adobe Reader.

May I take the CRI certification program online? That would be much easier for me.
Though we have many hours of online component to our program, the skills needed to become proficient at canine rehabilitation (diagnostics as well as therapeutics) require that you spend time learning the hands-on techniques in the classroom and lab with our instructors.

Do you offer a fast track option? That would be much easier for me.
No, we do not. We have learned through our experience in the past 15 years teaching this program that all students, after about 5 days of class, reach a point at which their ability to assimilate more information has diminished. We also feel that it is most effective to take new skills learned in a 5-day on-site class and apply them in the clinic for several weeks before returning to learn more. This time between classes helps the student to better recognize those skills that still require additional training. Returning to the next module allows the student to hone these skills while advancing his or her education.

What is the recommended time frame for completing a CRI certification program?
CRI has always encouraged students to not let any more than six months go by between modules. We understand that work and life schedules can make this challenging, however we have witnessed the difficulties that students have faced when more than six months have passed. The material is hard to recall if it has not been used and practiced consistently, causing challenges for the student and faculty, and leading to delays that impact everyone in the class. If you encounter a scheduling issue that keeps you from taking a module within the six-month time frame, we will encourage you to attend the prior module again, at no charge. We will do everything that we can to accommodate your needs to prevent your having to retake classes, but we urge all students to complete their classroom work on time.

What is the cost of the CCRT or CCRVN (formerly called CCRA) certification program?
We have updated the CCRT program for veterinarians and physical therapists starting in 2020. Please see our CCRT page for more details. The cost of CCRT certification will remain the same under our new program. The total course fee for courses in the CCRT program currently is:

Clinical Applications (CCRT Module 3)   1,750
Total Course Fee   $7,550

The total course fee for courses in the CCRVN (formerly called CCRA) program currently is:

Canine Sports Medicine   1,750
Total Course Fee   $7,300

Please note:
CCRT students may save $150 by registering for Clinical Skills (CCRT Module 2, formerly Canine Rehabilitation Therapist) and Clinical Applications (CCRT Module 3) as a 2-course package. CCRVN students may save $150 by registering for Canine Rehabilitation Veterinary Nurse and Canine Sports Medicine as a 2-course package. Select a 2-course package on the course pages or the Registration page to take advantage of this discount.

The total course fee does not include fees that may be charged by internship sites. Those fees are paid by students directly to the sponsoring practices.

The total course fee does not include costs that students may incur for travel, accommodations and meals.

I am a veterinarian. How do I enroll my veterinary technician/nurse in the Certified Canine Rehabilitation Veterinary Nurse program (formerly called Canine Rehabilitation Assistant)?
There must be a veterinarian or physical therapist in your practice that has been certified in canine rehabilitation by Canine Rehabilitation Institute, Inc. or the Northeast Seminars program or you and your veterinary technician/nurse can attend together. You must also submit an Employment Agreement Letter with your technician/nurse’s application.

I work as a veterinary technician/nurse but I have not received any formal training. May I attend CRI courses?
Veterinary technicians/nurses registering for CRI courses must have successfully completed an approved veterinary technician/nurse program. Proof of licensure, registration, or certification in the state where the applicant is employed is required. Exceptions are made on a case by case basis and will require that the applicant submit a letter of recommendation from their supervising veterinarian or physical therapist indicating that he/she is prepared for the rigors of the program. See Letter of Recommendation Guidelines.

Veterinary technicians without credentials will be certified as Canine Rehabilitation Assistants (CCRA).

I am a physical therapist assistant. Can I be certified in canine rehabilitation therapy?
Physical therapist assistants are not eligible for certification.

I am an occupational therapist. Can I be certified in canine rehabilitation?
Occupational therapists are not eligible for certification.

I am a licensed massage therapist (or sports physiologist or personal trainer) with years of experience working with dogs. May I enroll in your program?
Only licensed veterinarians, physical therapists, and veterinary technicians/nurses are eligible for certification.

I treat human patients (for example, a medical doctor, nurse, chiropractor). May I enroll in your certification program?
No. Only licensed veterinarians, physical therapists, and veterinary technicians/nurses are eligible.

I am a physical therapist licensed in another country. Can I enroll in your program?
Yes, we accept veterinarians, physical therapists, and veterinary technicians/nurses from other countries if they submit proof of licensure, registration, or certification in the country where they are employed.

I am a veterinary student. May I attend CRI courses?
Yes, veterinary students are permitted to enroll in CRI courses. As of October 2019, CRI has made adjustments to our rehabilitation and acupuncture certification programs just for veterinary students. Note that when registering you will need to submit proof of your enrollment in veterinary school in lieu of proof of licensure.

Certification in Canine Rehabilitation (CCRT): Students can start their training by taking Introduction to Canine Rehabilitation any time after their first year. They can then take the second module, Clinical Skills, any time after their second year. After their third year, they can take the last module, Clinical Applications, followed by a 40-hour internship. Certification will be awarded when the students obtain their veterinary licenses.

Certification in Veterinary Medical Acupuncture (CVAT): Students can start their training by taking Introduction to Veterinary Medical Acupuncture any time after their first year. They can then take the second module, Veterinary Medical Acupuncture for Sports Medicine/Rehabilitation Patients any time after their second year, and the last module, Canine and Feline Medical Acupuncture, any time after their third year. Certification will be awarded when the students obtain their veterinary licenses.

We encourage veterinary students to take advantage of the 20% discount off the tuition we are currently offering for both programs. Note that veterinary students are not eligible for this discount on courses they have taken or are currently taking. It would, however, apply to future modules.

Please see the Veterinary Student Certification page for complete details.

I see that veterinary students can take CCRT courses, and I was wondering if the same is also true for students in doctorate programs in physical therapy.
Physical therapy students can register for any courses that licensed physical therapists can take, but they canít start the courses until after they graduate and are licensed. Physical therapists must complete one year of clinical experience after receiving their license to be certified by CRI.

I completed courses at the Northeast Seminars program. Can I apply this work towards CRI certification?
In order to be certified by CRI, you need to attend all three of the required courses. If you are a graduate of the Northeast Seminars program, you are welcome to attend any of our courses as continuing education.

I am a physical therapist and it is my understanding that I cannot practice on animals in the state where I live. Is this true?
Every state has a Veterinary Practice Act and a Physical Therapy Act. Some states are more lenient than others when it comes to physical therapists working with animals. We advise all of our students to familiarize themselves with both practice acts in their states.

Why are some veterinary technicians/nurses listed as CCRVNs while others are CCRAs or CCRTechs?
When CRI was established in 2002, CCRT was used to designate both Certified Canine Rehabilitation Therapists (veterinarians and physical therapists) and Certified Canine Rehabilitation Technicians (veterinary technicians/nurses). To eliminate this confusion, we changed the CCRTech designation to Certified Canine Rehabilitation Assistant (CCRA) in 2005.

In 2018, in support of the Veterinary Nurse Initiative, we changed our certification title for credentialed veterinary technicians to Certified Canine Rehabilitation Veterinary Nurse (CCRVN). Veterinary technicians/nurses with credentials including CVT, LVT, RVT, AHT or those who have completed a two-year veterinary technology program will be certified as Canine Rehabilitation Veterinary Nurses (CCRVN) if they are working under the direction of a rehabilitation-certified veterinarian or physical therapist. Veterinary technicians without formal credentials continue to receive the designation of Certified Canine Rehabilitation Assistant (CCRA).

Do I have to complete the three modules required for certification in any particular order?
Starting in 2020, we have updated the CCRT program for vesterinarians and physical therapists. Veterinarians and physical therapists must take the following three modules in the CCRT program in order: Introduction to Canine Rehabilitation, Clinical Skills (CCRT Module 2, formerly Canine Rehabilitation Therapist), and Clinical Applications (CCRT Module 3). Please see our CCRT page for complete details.

Veterinarians technicians/nurses start the CCRVN/CCRA certification program with Introduction to Canine Rehabilitation. They can take Canine Rehabilitation Veterinary Nurse or Canine Sports Medicine in either order. Veterinary technicians with canine athletics experience may be able to attend Canine Sports Medicine before Introduction to Canine Rehabilitation subject to faculty approval.

Do I have to complete Introduction to Canine Rehabilitation before I may register for other courses?
No, you do not have to complete Introduction to Canine Rehabilitation before you register for other courses. Our subsequent core certification courses – Clinical Skills (CCRT Module 2, formerly Canine Rehabilitation Therapist), Clinical Applications (CCRT Module 3), Canine Rehabilitation Veterinary Nurse, and Canine Sports Medicine – often sell out months in advance, so we recommend that students register for all their core certification courses as soon as they know their schedules. Some courses must be taken in a specified order, but you may register for the courses in advance. Please see our CCRT and CCRVN pages for more information.

How does Nutrition in Canine Rehabilitation relate to rehabilitation?
Nutrition in Canine Rehabilitation focuses on nutrition for all life stages and for patients recovering from injury or illness.

Do all courses have to be taken at a single location?
You can take all courses at one location or split the courses between locations - whatever works out best for you and your schedule. We have even had some of our American students travel abroad to attend CRI courses!

Can the 40-hour internship be done at any time during the certification program?
No. All three of the required courses must be completed successfully and the exams passed before an internship can be started.

When can I get the list of approved sites for my internship?
We will give you access to the list when you have successfully completed Introduction to Canine Rehabilitation. Note that is for planning purposes only. You cannot start your internship until you have finished all three modules and exams.

Do I have to pay the full tuition at the time I register for a course?
It depends on the course. We require a $1,000 deposit for the following core courses (Introduction to Canine Rehabilitation, Clinical Skills, Canine Rehabilitation Veterinary Nurse, and Veterinary Acupuncture modules). Our discounted 2-course packages also have a deposit of $1,000 per 2-course package. The balance due will be charged 90 days prior to the start of the first course. For our continuing education courses (for example, Nutrition in Canine Rehabilitation), students pay the entire course fee at the time of registration, since course fees are usually $300-600 per course. If Clinical Applications or Canine Sports Medicine is taken as a stand-alone course (not part of a 2-course package), the entire course fee is due at the time of registration.

If I register for a 2-course package, is the balance of the tuition due 90 days before the first course, or is a portion due 90 days before the first course and the rest due 90 days before the second course?
The entire tuition balance is due 90 days prior to Day 1 of the first course.

The course I want to take is sold out. How do I sign up for a waiting list?
We maintain waiting lists for sold-out courses if we think some seats may open in the future. If you are on a waiting list, the more flexible you can be at the last minute, the greater your chances of obtaining a seat. For information about our waiting list policy, go to our Waiting List Policy page.

What is your cancellation policy?
Please read our Cancellation and Payment Policies for complete details.

Do you offer discounts on courses?
We offer discounted 2-course packages for core rehabilitation courses: Clinical Skills (CCRT Module 2, formerly Canine Rehabilitation Therapist) plus Clinical Applications (CCRT Module 3); Canine Rehabilitation Veterinary Nurse plus Canine Sports Medicine; and Acupuncture Program courses (Modules 2 and 3, Modules 2 and 4). Please see the Registration page for a current list of 2-course packages.

We also offer a 10% discount on most continuing education courses for CRI graduates (CCRTs, CCRVNs, and CCRAs) as well as for members of the American Association of Rehabilitation Veterinarians (AARV) and the Veterinary Orthopedic Society (VOS). Please visit our Continuing Education page for a list of eligible courses. Note that continuing education courses do not include core rehabilitation or acupuncture courses taken for certification. To apply the 10% discount, select a continuing education course and continue to Step 2 of the Checkout page. Click on the appropriate discount button to recalculate the course fee. AARV members will be asked to upload their membership certificate during registration. CRI graduates and VOS members will have their status confirmed by CRI.

Do you offer any kind of financial aid?
Unfortunately, we are not able to offer financial aid at this time.

What do I need to do to prepare for a course?
At the time of registration you will receive a course syllabus, reference materials, reading list/assignments, access to any video lectures that you need to view before class, and in some cases pre-course homework.

May I retake a CRI class?
CRI allows students to retake any core module, tuition free. A nominal fee applies for course notes. To retake a course, we ask a student to pay a $500 fee ($100 for course notes and a $400 deposit to secure a space). After the student completes the course, CRI will refund the $400 deposit to the student. Please contact CRI at [email protected] to inquire about retaking a course.

Can I bring my dog to class?
Dogs are welcome at most classes. We encourage students to bring dogs that get along well with other dogs. There are parks nearby all of our classroom locations. We require that all dogs be current with vaccinations, including rabies, distemper, parvovirus, bordetella, CIV and leptospirosis, and have had a negative fecal test within 6 months. Please contact us if you plan to bring your dog.

Where can I find information regarding transportation, directions and lodging?
See our Travel Arrangements pages for information about airports, ground transportation, and special hotel rates available for CRI students. Please note: Do not make non-refundable travel arrangements until your registration has been confirmed.

My hard drive crashed, and I lost all the electronic files from a CRI course I took. Can you send me copies of previous course materials?
Unfortunately, we are not able to do that. Our faculty members frequently update their electronic files, so we are not able to provide copies of previous course materials. Please back up your CRI files and all other important files so you will be protected in the event of a computer malfunction.

Residents of my country are required to have a visa to travel to the United States. I would like to take a course at CRI this summer before I start my fourth year of veterinary school. Can you help me get a student visa?
Unfortunately, no. CRI is not certified by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security as an educational institution that can enroll nonimmigrant students. After you have graduated, you may be eligible to travel to the U.S. to take a CRI course on a Business Visitor Visa (B-1). You would need to check with the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your country for details. For more information, go to the Business Visa page on the U.S. State Department website.